What I got done in January 2019

  • I moved my website from being hosted with PythonAnywhere to being hosted with DigitalOcean.
    • I did this because PythonAnywhere has restrictions on what you can run. For example, I was not able to add a WordPress blog or Confluence wiki.
  • I moved my blog from being hosted at wordpress.com to being hosted with DigitalOcean (https://www.rhymecraft.guru/blog).
    • I did this because I’d heard it was good for SEO.
  • I got a Confluence wiki working at https://www.rhymecraft.guru/wiki.
  • I created r/Rhymecraft on Reddit.
  • I added a “Q&A” link to the navbar that links to the Web Applications StackExchange site so that people can ask questions there, and I set it up so that I’ll get email notifications for any questions asked there.
  • I spent some time learning about Shakespeare to try to get a sense of why he’s so lauded, and learned that most of his plays are written mostly in prose, not verse.
  • I started trying to fix various bugs that had crept into the application.
  • I realized that I’m at a point where I need to thoroughly test both the front-end and the back-end to make it easy to continue to working on it without creating more bugs, so I bought and started reading “Testing Vue.js Applications”.

What I got done in 2018

This is mainly for my own benefit, but I figure it might be of interest to future visitors:

  • There is now a chat room (Slack).
  • There is now a video on the home page showing how to use the app.
  • Users can now create new songs.
  • Users’ changes to the song they have loaded are now saved automatically every few seconds.
  • Users are now not charged if they aren’t actively using the app.
  • Users can now create lyrics videos.
    • At first I just had it where the video would show one syllable at a time.
    • I then later got it working where users can show an entire line of lyrics at a time in a lyrics video, with only the current syllable highlighted.
  • Users can now play an audio file from within the app.
    • I later got it working where, if the user plays the audio from within the app, the app will automatically record where in the audio the user’s rhythm-taps start, and will adjust the position of the lyrics on the timing graph accordingly, as well as use that information to generate the lyrics video correctly.
  • Users can now specify the phonemes for each syllable, so that rhymes and alliteration can be detected (that latter part still needs to be done).
  • I did a bunch of research to figure out how the app should store words in the database to allow for advanced features I have in mind, like being able to set your song’s language and regional accent and have rhymes found only for that language and accent.
  • I spent a bunch of time trying to figure out how to create scrolling lyrics videos.
  • I made a bunch of minor improvements to the UI / UX.
  • I made a bunch of not-interesting-to-users infrastructure improvements to make the app easier to build as it gets more complicated.
  • I spent a bunch of time learning about the current state of rap by watching YouTube videos, browsing Reddit threads, reading articles, etc.
  • I procrastinated a lot: all of January and July (because of the Steam Summer Sale in the latter case), and most of February, March, April, and November.